Saturday, April 22, 2017

Dairy Free Lemon Muffins

I believe Saturdays are for watching Parks and Recreation and eating some breakfast burritos and muffins with the one you love. Now I have found a lot of store-bought muffin mixes have dairy in them so I could not just make those. Plus, I have leftover sour cream from my Strawberry Cake recipe from last week, so why not use it!



One of the best things about these muffins is how lemon-y they are, especially since I used the zest of 2 lemons to really add the flavor. Also, there is a crumb topping, which is the first time I have successfully made one. I forgot to buy muffin papers at the store when I was getting powdered sugar for the glaze, so that is why these are lacking them.



You can find the recipe here, and just like my Strawberry Cake I replaced the sour cream and butter with Green Valley Organics dairy free products, which I believe is the best non-dairy products on the market. They taste just like the real thing and do not upset my stomach at all!




The tops look a little pale when they come out of the oven but as long as the toothpick comes out clean they are good! Next time I make this recipe I will definitely double it, as it only made about 11 muffins, which accounts for the empty cup in the above picture (was not because somebody ate it). Also, have some terrible pictures of me trying to take action pictures of glazing the muffins!




I am not a professional glazer but I definitely had fun trying to take pictures of it! Especially since I had 11 "takes" to get the right one, but they all kind of look the same and the glaze soaks into the crumble. But now for the recipe!

Ingredients

Crumb Topping

1/4 c Green Valley Organics butter, melted
3/4 c all purpose flour
2 T granulated sugar
2 T light brown sugar

Batter

1/4 c Green Valley Organics butter, soft
1/2 c granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
zest of 2 lemons
2 T lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 c all purpose flour
1/2 c Green Valley Organics sour cream

Glaze

6 T powdered sugar
1 T lemon juice, freshly squeezed

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 12 muffin tins with paper or spray with non-stick spray.

2. Prepare the crumb first. Whisk all the dry ingredients together first, then add to the melted butter and mix with a fork until only small pieces remain.  Set aside.

3. In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and mix until combined, then do the same after adding the vanilla, lemon zest, and lemon juice.

4. Add in the salt, baking powder, and flour and mix until fully combined. Finally add in the sour cream and mix until there are no streaks left.

5. Use a portion scoop to scoop batter into the muffin tins, then generously cover each muffin with the crumb topping.

6. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool right away.

7. As the muffins are cooling make the glaze by whisking together the powdered sugar and lemon juice. Use a small spoon or a whisk to drizzle the glaze over the cooled muffins. Store in an airtight container.

Did you try this recipe? Tell me how it went below in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment