Monday, April 21, 2014

Chocolate Sugar Cookies

   Sorry for the hiatus, I was just on spring break and the the week after is always quite hectic! But now that the hype has all died down people have been asking about when the next time I'll bake is, and today is the day! These little guys will be going to school and tested to see if this is a keeper recipe or not. Personally, I think they are very well done with a very brownie-like taste....it's just so much chocolate!! 





   These cookies are most definitely made for chocolate lovers! Like I said, they taste a lot like brownies and are a little less crunchy than the corner parts of brownies. Mmmm brownie edges.... No, back on task. I found this recipe through the Pinterest Cookie page, and it was like love at first sight! And since I've already tried the Brown Sugar Cookies and Original Sugar Cookie recipes, I decided 'heck, why not give this one a try too?' And I'm pleased to say it was a success!




   The first thing to do is cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then beat in eggs one at a time, and then lastly add in the vanilla. The batter should be creamy with little to no sugar granules  I always do everything by hand since I don't have a kitchen aide, but that would definitely shorten preparation time(as well as saving you an arm workout!) if you had one. Set this aside for a minute, no worries we will come back to it!



   The next thing to prepare is the chocolate mixture. This part actually looks a lot like what a caked mix would look like, but I promise it's not! The beautiful thing about cocoa powder and flour is the fact that they are two very different colors, so its easy to know when more stirring is needed! Make sure everything is evenly distributed before adding it to the butter mixture.

   Slowly, and I do mean slowly, add the flour mix to he butter mixture, stirring until incorporated. Make sure there are no flour pockets or big lumps, then the dough is ready to be refrigerated! The dough itself should be smooth, and even kind of has the consistency of brownie batter. Oh yes, and the batter is absolutely amazing!! I had to stop myself from eating all of it, I had to remember that maybe maybe the cookies would turn out even better. And I was right.



   The dough has to be refrigerated for an hour, but if you're in a crunch of time(as I usually am), you can put it in the freezer for 15 minutes and between batches of cookies. That way it would be firm enough to mold, but take up a fraction of the time. The dough might need to be stirred every couple of times when pulled out of the freezer, just so all the other parts of the dough can be equally as frozen.

   If I could make a huge cookie/brownie batter Popsicle my life would be complete! Well, at least until it became too chocolate-y and/or all my teeth fell out. Whichever comes first. These cookies also taste amazing right out of the oven, and I couldn't stop eating them! If they (somehow) don't get all eaten in one sitting, they can be stored in an airtight container for up to a week. Well, if they last that long. I highly doubt it!






Recipe:

Ingredients:

1 cup Butter, soft
1 1/2 cups Brown Sugar, packed
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
3/4 cup Cocoa Powder
2 cups Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Salt
1/2 cup granulated Sugar, for rolling

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. Cream brown sugar and flour in a large bowl until light and fluffy  Beat in the eggs one at a time, then mix in the vanilla. Set aside.
3. In a different bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt and stir until well combined. Slowly mix into butter mixture until the dough is a nice, smooth consistency.
4. Refrigerate dough for an hour.
5. Roll dough into little balls, then roll into the granulated sugar before placing o a greased baking sheet. Bake for 7-10 minutes, or until the tops of the cookies have set.
6. Cool cookies on a cooling rack, then transfer to an airtight container when fully coooled down. Enjoy!






Try the recipe? Tell me how it went below in the comments!
-Sophia




No comments:

Post a Comment